Economy And Scale: The Keystone (Kstad70b) Energy Star 70-Pint Dehumidifier
Finding the right balance between keeping your house comfortable and your belongings secure from moisture and operating your home in an economical and energy efficient way can be a challenge. If your home has high humidity, then a dehumidifier is important not only to ensure your comfort but also to avoid the problems of mold and mildew that excess moisture can bring. But dehumidifiers are a major energy consumer.
The average dehumidifier uses twice the electricity of an ENERGY STAR refrigerator or about 1000 kWh per year of energy. Using an ENERGY STAR rated dehumidifier will reduce this usage by at least 15%. Because of this high energy usage, when you are selecting a dehumidifier, you should look for a product that will meet your home’s needs as efficiently as possible. There are a lot of other factors to consider when choosing the right product for your home, this article will take a look at how the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier rates.
Best Features Of The Keystone Energy Star 70-Pint Dehumidifier
- High Energy Efficiency: The Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier was designed with energy efficiency in mind. While the appliance is rated at 720 watts, it draws even less in a home where the relative humidity is less than 50%. In comparison to other dehumidifiers with similar capacity, the Keystone 70-pint Dehumidifier ranks at the top. Thus, the Keystone dehumidifier saves you money by reducing your overall energy consumption.
- Quiet Operation: The Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier’s fan operates at either of two speeds. On the highest speed, the unit produces noise at 56 decibels. The lowest speed produces 54 decibels of sound. This level is in range with the noise produced by light traffic or your refrigerator. Because the fan has a continuous operation option, you may find that the noise actually serves as a buffer sound suitable for use in a bedroom to drown out other ambient sounds. Further reducing the noise impact of the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier is the fact that its exhaust vents out the side of the unit. Some dehumidifiers exhaust air out of the top which allows the noise produced to travel throughout the room. With side ventilation, you can direct the fan away from your position and thus reduce the noise headed your direction.
- Defrost Mode: Many dehumidifiers at the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier’s price point do not include an automatic defrost feature. But this is an important benefit if you plan to use your dehumidifier continuously. The coils of a dehumidifier process a refrigerant in order to create a cold surface over which warm air is circulated. The coolness of the coils causes water to condense on these coils for capture and elimination. When accumulated water on the coils becomes too cool, it will freeze causing frost build-up and preventing the dehumidifier from working. The Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier has a system to detect when this frost effect has occurred. Once detected, the compressor will stop cooling the coils and only the fan will run. This mode allows warm air to continue to pass over the coils, melting the frost and restoring the unit’s productivity. An indicator light alerts you to the situation. As with most ENERGY STAR rated units, the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier is rated for operation in temperatures down to 41 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whole House Coverage: The Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier states that it can circulate air through a space of up to 4500 square feet. At its highest setting, the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier’s fan operates at 188 CFM, this is comparable to some small to medium whole-house ventilation systems. With such a large coverage capacity, the Keystone should be more than well equipped to handle smaller spaces. It could also serve a house with an open floor plan well.
- Moisture Processing Capacity: The overall capacity of the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier is 70 pints per day, and it can handle up to 3 pints per hour. This is a pretty sizeable capacity for a dehumidifier at the Keystone’s price point. Be warned, despite this capacity the water tank for the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier only holds about 10 pints. So unless you plan to empty the unit 7 times a day or use the drainage adapter with a hose for emptying, you will not be running the Keystone at full capacity.
- Optional Delayed Start and Stop: While you can operate the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier in continuous mode (as long as you aren’t collecting more water than you can empty), the unit also allows you to set a delayed start time. This would be particularly handy if you wanted the unit to begin operation after your morning shower. You can also set the timer so that the unit stops at a specific time. Perhaps you don’t want your unit to operate during your favorite show, or just want it to operate for a set amount of time each day. The timer allows you to choose your own schedule.
A Few Downsides
- Water Tank: The Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier is an inexpensive unit, thus most of its parts are plastic and may not be as sturdy as higher priced 70-pint models. In particular, the bucket for this unit has been described as flimsy by some users. You will need to be careful when removing the water tank for emptying to avoid a messy spill.
- Spacing: Placement and spacing are common issues with most dehumidifiers. The units must have sufficient space around them to take in air and recirculate it. Because the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier vents out the side, spacing is more critical. There must be at least 20 inches of clearance around this dehumidifier for it to operate properly.
- Handling: Dehumidifiers that operate using refrigerant coils must be held upright to keep the refrigerant in place. This unit has side handles for carrying, but no top handle. You will need to resist the temptation to hold the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier in your arms to carry it as that might cause it to tilt and unsettle the refrigerant.
Why To Buy
Overall, the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier offers you quite a few features from indicator lights and automatic defrost to smooth quiet operation that are often only found in higher priced models. The energy efficiency of this unit makes it a very economical choice.
So if you need an affordable dehumidifier that can handle a large space, the Keystone Energy Star 70-pint Dehumidifier should definitely be on your short list.